Job Title: Millwork Prep/Finisher
The Millwork Prep/Finisher is responsible for knowledge in specific areas of production work utilizing woodwork finishing tools and techniques. They have a good level of competency for finishing work and require some supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain accurate records of daily production hours, including correct number of hours, project number, and work order number; Ability to use time tracking computers.
- Clean and maintain products, machines, and work areas for cleanliness, equipment maintenance, and organization.
- Read and follow production cutlists, work orders, and shop travelers.
- Follow all safety, hazard, and lockout procedures.
- Follow Work Orders & directives to determine specifications of items to be prepped/finished.
- Gather and prepare assembled product, materials and supplies for finish prep processing.
- Smooth, shape, and touch-up surfaces to prepare them for finishing, using sandpaper, orbital sanders, and other tools.
- Fill and smooth cracks or depressions, remove marks and imperfections, and repair broken parts, using plastic or wood putty, glue, nails, and/or screws.
- Examine wood cuts and finished workpieces for smoothness, shape, angle, depth-of-cut, and conformity to specifications, and verify dimensions, visually and using rules, calipers, templates.
- Wash surfaces and disassemble items to prepare them for finish application.
- Brush, spray, or hand-rub finishing ingredients, such as paint, oil, stain, or wax, onto and into wood grain; apply lacquer or other sealers as needed.
- Count finished products to determine if product orders are complete and examine products to verify conformance to quality standards.
- Observe production process and notify production leads of any issues observed.
- Checks color samples regularly to maintain a matching product during finish spraying.
- Efficiently utilizes, measures, and maintains finish chemicals.
- Assist other production workers as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving.
- Demonstrate attention to detail, maintain focus, and follow through in completing work tasks.
- Hardwood, veneer and panel knowledge; species characteristics and prep/finish techniques.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School diploma, General Education Degree (GED) or technical school degree/certificate preferred; greater than three (3) years related work experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong knowledge of Finishing and Woodworking and prior work with experienced employees